Saturday 27 April 2013

Char Minar, a structure of National Importance, really?!

Its funny how such an idea tickles onto my mind. On my Bharat Bhraman mode, a City Meet with my IIM B pals, seniors and alumni brought me to the city with a flavour of Shahi as well as Mughal dynasty!

The journey from Vizag to Hyderabad was as unplanned as the trip, all thanks to the last minute goof up by my friend to book the tickets online. But then as they say, good thoughts always land up in the right lane, I managed a sound sleep in the multi-axle Volvo throughout the journey. Worth to mention the awesome leather upholstery and the BOSE surround sound system in the new SVR Volvo! (y)

Travel sector in India is developing fast thanks to the Volvo manufacturing unit in Chennai!

I knew luck was with me as my presence brought rains to Hyderabad! The day was free for me since the meet was scheduled for the next evening and with all my friends busy for the afternoon I was left all by myself to explore this beautiful city of Hyderabad. Actually thats what I always intended, with all my previous attempts to explore the old city had been fouled by my showstopper friends!

After exploring the the iconic Mumbai Local and Delhi Metro's 'Jahangir' it was time for Hyderabad Deccan's MMTC. A complete let down though. Travel between any two destination doesn't cost more than 5 bucks but then its very necessary to carry change if travelling single, or else be ready to hear some good words from the TC! A brisk 40 mins journey from Hi-Tech City to Nampally and I here I was, about to enter Old Hyderabad. A bumpy ride in an Auto Rickshaw with aroma full of armpit odour and 7 fellow travellers landed me near Char Minar. I was in awe of the structure the moment I saw it, soon to realize that it was crowded more by police than the touristes. A 5 Rs. entry fee ticket issued by Archaeological Survey of India showed that they did the same at 22 other places in India only to fill in their pockets.

I climbed one of the arches to reach to the top of the majestic structure and could easily locate the Golconda Fort and the new City from there. The most beautiful view was still to be seen, for when I moved to the backside of the structure I could spot the serene atmosphere and a huge courtyard in front of the Iconic Makkah Masjid. I had seen it till date in News, got an opportunity of visit it today. Later went and worshipped as well!

Whilst observing the minute carvings and architectural elements I realized the pathetic condition of the structure. With multitude of visitors thronging the place day and out, I fear soon the structure could be history.  Proper maintenance is need of the hour.

Behind the Char Minar, the road alongside Makkah Masjid also known as the Laad Market is always full of roadside vendors selling everything from bermudas to the in-season beganpally mangoes.
A view of the market from Char Minar:

I even visited the shops in and around Char Minar area to spot all kinds of desi/hyderabadi/genuine pearls. A visit to Bilal Ice Cream Parlor nearby is highly recommended. I had 5 scoops of Mango ice-cream followed by 2 scoops of kharbuja to top it up with a 3 star Milk-Shake. Incidentally Bilal Ice Cream shop is one of the oldest shops in Hyderabad started some 90 years ago.

Overall it was an awesome day out in the heat, because I did what I always loved to, Explore!!



P.S.: Beware of pickpockets and beggars around the old market area. 
Also 100 bucks in the pocket and you can safely visit the place and be back to any corner of Hyderabad!

2 comments:

  1. Nice,I haven't been to Hyderabad till now and your article entices me to give a visit to this Baadhshah's city..

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good place to visit actually, gives a glimpse of varied cultures that India endorses!

    ReplyDelete